Tom recently visited this site’s landing page and kindly pointed out that it had been replaced by a torrent of PHP errors. (My hosting provider updated their PHP version: I checked the blog, but not the site itself. Oops.)
I’ve fixed the immediate problem, but in a rather rough-and-ready manner which has disabled some minor functionality in the rest of the site. (“Minor functionality”: footnotes, table-of-contents, and images are no longer shown.) I don’t have any interest whatsoever in maintaining the tech, so I’ll be looking for a way to snapshot the content and convert what is worth saving to static html. In the meantime, if things look a bit shabby then it’s not unexpected, but if you hit a wall of error messages then please let me know, it will mean I missed something.